[meteorite-list] NWA Saharan Desert Meteorite Map - Blood Auction

From: Michael Gilmer <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 23:42:21 -0500

Hi List and Anne Black,

For those of you at the Michael Blood auction, or following it on the
live feed, I want to correct a false statement made by Anne Black
about the NWA Saharan Desert meteorite map that was sold at the
auction.

In a move that was very petty, unprofessional and without class, Anne
Black said that the map had errors on it, in front of the entire room
of bidders. Then she said that the placement of Libyan Desert Glass
on the map is wrong. First of all, if that was true (it is not) that
would be one error, not error(s) plural. Second of all, if she had
actually looked at the map closely, she would have seen that the area
labelled on the map for LDG is correct and it straddles the border of
Egypt and Libya in an area well-known for LDG finds. This map was
looked over by a respected meteorite (and LDG) person who said the map
showed correct placement for all of the labelled points on the map.
This person has been on expeditions to find LDG and knows what he is
talking about. And, I have studied the subject and read scores of
books on the subject and meteorites in general. I didn't just throw
this map together and have the artist create it without fact-checking
the places on the map.

This statement about errors on the map was a cheap shot at me because
she does not like me. And that is a very petty thing to do.

Anne -

Anne, you showed your true colors tonight. But I am sure you will sit
back and act innocent and offended - that is fine and you might have
some people fooled, but I see your true face, and it is nothing like
the image you try to portray.

The next time you badmouth one of my items, make sure you have your
facts straight.

Yes, I am mad. That giclee cost almost $100 to print alone and
shipping to Captain Blood was another $20. Because you do have a lot
of people fooled, people tend to take your word as authoritative, and
I am sure your badmouthing of my item cooled the bidding.

Now, I will sit back and await the expected barrage of abuse from your
sycophants. They might be fooled, but many others and myself are not.

I get asked a lot of questions by people asking where to find certain
meteorites that I do not have in stock (such as some rare falls) and
you can bet I will steer them in the opposite direction of your
website. You see, I can be petty also when it is deserved.

I don't expect you to apologize or acknowledge your error, because I
am beneath you and you wouldn't dare admit that someone like me is
right and you are wrong. So I guess I will just have to settle for
the satisfaction of calling you out in front of the List.

And one last thing, for the life of me, I cannot understand why
Michael Blood did not take map out of the mailing tube and show it to
the bidders. How can someone bid on something they cannot see
first-hand and they only have a small low-res printed photo to see it.
 I was very disappointed at this. The artist who made the map is a
successful professional artist who has done numerous gallery shows,
including a show at the world famous Dali Museum. This is a limited
edition giclee, signed and numbered by the artist. And it's a
stunning piece of functional art. I have sold over 30 of these prints
in different sizes and every buyer has been very happy with it. For
it to sell for a pittance is an insult to me and the artist.

Well, congratulations to whoever won it, because they got a real steal
on an ACCURATE map.

And for the inevitable calls for me to apologize for this post - stuff
it. I am not apologizing for stating the truth.

Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com
Meteorite Top List - http://meteorite.gotop100.com