[meteorite-list] A good question

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2011 18:56:23 -0500 (EST)

PS - one more thing,

the curent temperature of the core of earth is probably hotter than the
surface of the Sun (over 5000 C)., and McSween has done extensive
modeling to guess something Vesta sized probably reaches a maximum core
temperature of about 1200 C (I think - better check me on that). As
usual, it depends on diameter and distance from the Sun, and anything
else, like impacts, which can effect heating.