[meteorite-list] Comet Lovejoy update

From: Matson, Robert D. <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 12:18:44 -0800

Thanks, Sterling! Latest estimate on Comet Lovejoy's brightness is that
it
has reached magnitude +1, and we're looking for the first hints of
blooming
artifacts in SOHO LASCO C3 that will indicate that the comet has
brightened
into the negative magnitudes.

Later today I expect to get an update from Karl Battams at NRL with the
STEREO-B images from 13 December. When I do, I will append them to the
existing movie. I'll also put together a movie from LASCO C3, and
perhaps
Jim Wooddell will be kind enough to host it as well.

As for the closest approach distance of Lovejoy to the surface of the
sun,
there are some estimates out there that the distance will be effectively
zero -- a true surface-grazer. As such, the chances for survival past
perihelion are zero, unfortunately.

Best wishes,
Rob