[meteorite-list] Meteorite Picture of the Day

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 13:39:57 -0500 (EST)

Thanks kindly Craig and Paul, Hi list;

Paul wrote:
"I just move pictures from server A to server B."

Not true! I can't believe all the attention Paul gives MPOD to keep it
rolling on time every time, and as any editor knows, nothing is as easy
as it sounds when you have to sit down and do it.

Did anyone notice the scale cube? I used it because it was antique
brass and seemed to better fit Wold Cottage than other ones with high
tech looks. But this precision German made cube really has the letters
printed upside-down! Oops ;-) Never noticed that until I looked at
the image.

The silver shilling coin ("a bob" in slang) is also in the image for
scale, nearly the same size and weight of a US quarter coin ($0.25), it
weighed 6 grams and was one inch in diameter (2.5 cm). The mintage year
in the image (1787) is the one that would be most commonly used to pay
the admission price to see the Wold Cottage meteorite in its 1796
exhibition, since coin mintings were not done annually then. These are
available on eBay for around $25 to $50 if anyone wants a hopefully
authentic coin to complement their Wold Cottage specimens.

Today, the counterpart of the bob is the UK 5-pence piece (since the
1970's when shillings were dropped), or nickel in the US. The US
nickel was so-named 'a nickel', because half-dimes used to be silver,
just as shillings were, and then the composition was switched - to
(mostly) 75% copper .... and 25% nickel -.

The original US nickels were actually one cent pieces (pennies), but a
shortage of silver to make the easy to loose small, popular half-dimes
after the "American Civil War" returned the pennies to copper, though
smaller, and left the bright colored five-cent coins as the newly
minted 'nickels' we know today.

Kindest wishes,
Doug