[meteorite-list] Meteorite magazine - from the co-editor

From: Robert Beauford <robertbeauford_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 11:17:18 -0800 (PST)

Matthew and All,
Please allow me to clarify a couple of misunderstandings that cropped up in the responses to this morning's discussion on?the meteorite list-serve?before addressing your specific subject of communication.
-- Meteorite magazine and Meteorite Hunting and Collecting Magazine are not the same thing. --
Meteorite magazine, which can be found on the web at http://www.meteoritemag.org/? is not and has never been in any way associated with Meteorite Hunting and Collecting Magazine (MHCM), which can be found on the web at http://www.mhcmagazine.com/??? I do not know the status of the MHCM publication.? We are not associated with the promised refunds that were mentioned or with any other obligations or commitments having to do with that publication.? I personally subscribed to it when it started,?but have never met the people involved and have only read one issue.? Beyond that, I know nothing, but truly wish them the best.
Meteorite magazine, through which I currently serve the community as co-editor, has been around for 17 years, is published quarterly, and has no unfulfilled financial or publication obligations beyond any short term screw-ups of the sort that apparently happened with Matthew's subscription attempt about a week ago.
It is?my great pleasure to serve the meteorite community through this publication, and I do so only because I value the publication, the subject, and what I feel the work contributes to each of you.? From start to finish, I consider each issue a team effort between the authors, the subscribers, the advertisers, and the publication/editorial team.? Without each part of this team,?the magazine?wouldn't happen.? Handling editorial and publication related tasks, which includes subscriptions as well as great deal more,?requires the devotion of?a tremendous amount of time to this publication.? Since the work is almost completely?volunteer, we also spend a great deal of time supporting ourselves in order to make the time, energy and money that we put into this service possible, as well as persuing our own research interests.? As a result, a few days may?occasionally pass between communications.? I think that most of our authors and subscribers
would vouch that we do a pretty good job of keeping on top of things and making it clear, through both our communications and actions,?that we care.
Matthew, I am?terribly sorry for the mix-up in regards your subscription, and I understand your frustration.? I have absolutely no doubt that we will be able to take care of it.? We are a 3-part team.? I?primarily handle author communications and editorial.? Derek Sears handles layout, printer communications, and editorial.??Hazel Sears handles subscriptions, billing, and advertising.? I have already forwarded your concern to her, and I'm sure she will be able to take care of?it with no problem.? You can always reach?Hazel?with any problems of this sort at metpub at meteoritemag.org??? You can reach me directly regarding content or proposed content?at meteditr at meteoritemag.org? Subscriptions can be purchased and all of our contact information can be found at the new website http://www.meteoritemag.org/?? You can also reach me directly at my personal email address at robertbeauford at rocketmail.com?though it is probably better to use the
 magazine
email.
I wish you all the best, and I appreciate the opportunity to continue to be of service,
- Robert Beauford
co-editor, Meteorite magazine
meteditr at meteoritemag.org