[meteorite-list] Primitive Achondrite Question

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 21:22:09 -0500 (EST)

There are relict chondrules identifyable in LL7's according to the
definition I read, though if you dig through David Weir's or Dr.
Bunch's websites you will probably get updated information.

So, it can't be an achondrite, primitive or not. If anything it would
have to be a "highly evolved" chondrite; --- same logic we just saw
with Al Haggounia 001 not being an aubrite = chondrule .. not an aubrite

but in that Al Haggounia case, chondrules that were not completely
mineralized with replacements are present, and Greg Hupe has an
unambiguous chondrule that he kindly shared with me that is extremely
well defined (dropping it to a "3" in that case assuming not 100%
relict).

What happens when a chondrite is just past the metamorphic stage that
chondrules are no longer identifyable is probably a variable process
causing confusion among classifications of sparcely occuring chondrules
in 6's and those of 7's. Must be a bit to come up with uniform
criteria since nature has her own sometimes cryptic ways. It would
only get interesting if different parts of the same rock get baked in a
non-uniform oven.

Kindest wishes
Doug