[meteorite-list] A Plan To Place An Asteroid In Earth Orbit

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 19:54:40 -0400

Hello Sterling,

Well, since the purpose of this is to mine an asteroid, it seems pretty
foolish to waste all that effort on a 10 meter rock which you won't
allow to be an iron.

IT HAS TO BE AN IRON unless you want to waste money. Or do you want to
mine antimony (element = Sb). That would be very successfully at
mining Antimoney (element = $$$ouch$$$) !!!

The problem is that most of the trace elements worth mining are
siderophiles. So if you are going to mine silaceous, or most stony
meteorites, I'd suggest going to a beach on earth (with a K-T
outcropping if you insist ;-) with a tonka dump truck as the initial
probe...

Even at the 1 ppm level (a gross exaggeration for a stony meteorite),
there is 1,200 grams of gold in your 1,200 ton 10 meter diameter
"spherical" asteroid. Now I know gold is getting expensive, but let's
keep our feet on terra firma. If you are going to mine anything, it
needs to be worth it. Considering that "mining" such a small body is
an expensive proposition (how do you think it would be smelted in
orbit), they'd be better off just bringing back the 1,200 grams of raw
asteroid and selling it to scientists and collectors. So, no matter
how you cut up this "pie in the sky" in a spreadsheet, it ain't workin'

Kindest wishes
Doug