[meteorite-list] Conception Junction Pallasite

From: Robert Ward <ironfromthesky_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 12:26:24 -0700 (PDT)

Dave is not able to post at the moment, and rather than rewriting this I am forwarding it for him. Obviously I had concerns about specimen transport prior to acquiring the meteorite in Conception Junction -- not because the landowner wasn't credible, but rather because it was possible a the stone was transported by a native American, perhaps centuries ago.

It's hard in photographs to notice this at first, but the average crystal diameter of Brenham specimens we used for comparison was about 7.5 millimeters, whereas Conception Junction averages only about 4.5 millimeters. It's painfully obvious in a direct comparison that the two are quite different based on physical characteristics alone (including several factors, not just crystal size).

Then of course there are the findings of UCLA's Dr. John Wasson, the world's authority on iron and pallasitic meteorites, which are detailed in the monograph through his contribution to same. To summarize, he wrote, "The information I report here shows there is no main group pallasite that is closely related to Conception Junction. Conception Junction is unique."