[meteorite-list] INCORRECTITES, 'WRONGS, and PSEUDOTERMINOLOGY

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2011 03:16:08 -0400

I wrote:

"a meteorwrong by most definitions is natural material than can be
confused with an authentic meteorite out in the field. This is a
*PSEUDOMETEORITE*"

The present case is the same as the apple colored incorrectites faked
on eBay which are described as moldavites.

Let me introduce the term INCORRECTITES for tektite-wrongs just to keep
them separate as we like to do.

Since I generalized when all I meant was to focus on the
pseudopallasite for which it is ok:

A *meteorwrong* by most definitions is a material of possible
meteoritic origin which was found with no prior information and
requires confirmation by an individual skilled in recognizing
meteorites by scientific means.

The etymology comes from grasshopper asking Master Po whether he has
found a meteorite after spending many moons improving his search
techniques, producing a rock that thus far the junior cannot rule out.
Master Po, infinitely more practiced, immediately shouts out
"Meteorwrong!", thus maintaining the proper meteoritical hierarchy by
keeping grasshopper's ego in check and sending grasshopper into the
fields for several more moons until he can do better... this case
specifically does not apply when the finder knew that the material was
terrestrial and was engaged in fraud...because the finder already knew
what it was and thus, never had a wrong, since there was never any
doubt it was terrestrial.

A *counterfeit meteorite* is a material that has been manufactured
specifically to appear to be a meteorite.

A *pseudometeorite* is any material that gained acceptance as a
possible meteorite but was later shown to be terrestrial of origin.

Just suggestions, but IMO a good idea.

Many of us have stories of counterfeit meteorites. Some time I would
like to share my best one, I was deceived analogous to the "Shirokovsky
Pallasite" pseudometeorite and purchased. The difference was that it
was manufactured by the sagest peasant in a village and I am certain it
would have most of the astute list members to the cleaners (as in -
emptied their wallet) as well. I don't share this anecdote because
it's simply not a good idea in case some perfects its application -
very scary.

The above are just a pile of opinions!
Kindest wishes
Doug