[meteorite-list] List

From: Michael Gilmer <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 20:13:09 -0400

Too each their own, and neither medium should be dismissed or
condemned. Meeting in person, talking on the phone, or writing out a
well though-out, snail-mail, letter (in cursive!), all have their
advantages. Some of them are becoming dying art forms - like letter
correspondence. They all have their appeal, and at the moderately-old
age of 41, I straddle the line between the erudite dinosaurs and the
modern technoholics. I have a cell phone, but it's an old "dumb"
variety that is just a phone - no camera, no apps, no face-time
messaging, etc. It's not the best, but it serves it's purpose for
someone who grew up in the age before cell-phones and the only way to
call someone was from home or a dime phone-booth on a street corner.
We got by just fine without cellphones back then. So my primitive
non-smart cellphone does the trick. If I want to play games, watch
movies, or web-surfing, I have my netbook PC for that.

The point I am getting at is - Facebook is another stepping stone on
the evolution of communication. God only knows where the path is
heading and whether it's a good thing or not. But like it or not, the
younger generation is being raised on these devices and they are
driving innovation and the direction of technology....and by
extension, the nature of society in relationship to technology.
Almost half a billion people worldwide use Facebook and it's free.
Two years from now, everyone will probably be hot to trot over
something new and Facebook will sit neglected in the cellar like
MySpace.

There is a lot of meteorite-related activity taking place on Facebook.
 Discussions, photo-sharing, offers/trades, networking, etc. It's not
a replacement for this mailing list and it's not better or worse in
any regard. It's just another tool to communicate with people over
long distances. I don't get free international calls on my DumbPhone
0G, and Facebook is free, so it's cheaper to talk to people that way.
I have friends in several countries, and I certainly can't afford to
jump on a jet and go visit them. Many of these friends are not
members of this mailing list, yet a few of them end up becoming
meteorite collectors because they discovered meteorites on Facebook
and probably a few of them will discover this mailing list via
Facebook. Is that a good thing? Maybe! God only knows. LOL

I'm not suggesting that everyone rush out and use Facebook. It wasn't
my cup of tea either, for a long time. I avoided it until two years
ago. Now, I use it daily and have made several new friends. But, I
could live without it and get by fine. I just choose to use it.

Best regards and back to meteorites....

MikeG

--
Galactic Stone & Ironworks - Meteorites & Amber (Michael Gilmer)
Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com