[meteorite-list] Lyon & Turnbull meteorite auction results!!!

From: Shawn Alan <photophlow_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 08:34:31 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Listers,
?
Hope everyone is doing well. I was able to watch the The Robert Elliott Meteorite Collection: Part II auction I have to say sales were high with some items. I guess in the UK market people can spend some coins.
?
The Michael Jackson interest NWA xxx 559g meteorite sold for ?1,100 with the expected value at about Estimate ?250-350. Can we say we have some Michael Jackson fans in the house. I was thinking that might be a high of the auction ans so it seems it was. Now I wonder is the Jackson estate has the other half still and what that might be worth on the meteorite market.
?
Now me move onto Nakhla. I think this was also a house favorite with the closing cost at? ?1,100 for a .228g fragment. After conversion and sellers fee, the expected winner will be paying about 2200 in American dollars. The price you pay for history and aura.
?
Now there were some flops...... Can anyone say cheese...... Well that is what I was told the Moon was made out of when I was a little kid, bit soon after, I was told that astronauts made the moon from rocks. The stories that kids are told, I hope kids these days are smarter and when the parents aren't looking google it. If I had google when I was 4 years old, I would have been smart little kid on my speak n spell. Now back to the flops. Those were Dar al Gani 400. The suggested price for a Moon rock 0.184g was at Estimate: ?1600 - 2200. Am I missing something or is that old prices when this stuff was selling like hot cakes?
?
Now we move to closer of the auction..... Calcalong Creek. This meteorite can command a pretty penny and was said to sell for around $40,000 a gram. Last time I say some of this sell I think it was a 2mg piece for around $700. As for the Lyon and Turnbull's Calcalong Creek fragment this could be a winner for the winning bidder at a mystery weight. The only thing one could go by was the size, 3mm. The weight could be 3mg to 10mg or more. But I have to say for ?300, at the end of the day, a deal was made considering the province and hand written letter and not to mention the fragment could be 10mg or more, and if that's the case, the winner got a steal.
?
All and all, the sales were average to above average and for the market being in a rut, the auction went off with some great buys. Now I just want to know when is the next one is cause this one was nice to watch and see alot of great? meteorites slip by.
?
For the results of all 101 LOTS click on the link down below
?
http://www.lyonandturnbull.com/asp/searchresults.asp?pg=1&st=D
?
Shawn Alan