[meteorite-list] Mercury Meteorites - the short list

From: cdtucson at cox.net <cdtucson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2011 0:32:05 -0400

Bernd,

The very latest info on Mercuries composition does not even mention Fe or FeO. It seems to me if it was there NASA would have already mentioned it.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/messenger/media/NewsConference20110616.html

Ut says;

Mercury's Surface Composition

The X-ray Spectrometer (XRS) ? one of two instruments on MESSENGER designed to measure the abundances of many key elements on Mercury ? has made several important discoveries since the orbital mission began. The magnesium/silicon, aluminum/silicon, and calcium/silicon ratios averaged over large areas of the planet's surface show that, unlike the surface of the Moon, Mercury's surface is not dominated by feldspar-rich rocks.

XRS observations have also revealed substantial amounts of sulfur at Mercury's surface, lending support to prior suggestions from ground-based telescopic spectral observations that sulfide minerals are present. This discovery suggests that the original building blocks from which Mercury was assembled may have been less oxidized than those that formed the other terrestrial planets, and it has potentially important implications for understanding the nature of volcanism on Mercury.

So, until the next report it seems all of these older theories might be out the window.

Carl
--

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote".