[meteorite-list] Mercury Fragments on earth (not)

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 22:11:48 -0500

Michael, List,

I think it's most likely that some special
group or unique class may be Mercurians
and less likely that they are not recognized
as meteorites. But we have to remember that
our solar system and everything in it has
been made out of the very same box of Betty
Crocker Complete Solar System Mix; no extra
ingredients need be added.

There was no recognition and proof of the origin
of Lunar and Martians until we had either brought
back a sample (in the moon case) or put down
an analytical lander (in the Mars case). We had
comparison samples of the Moon to analyze
and we had the noble gas isotope ratios for
Mars.

Evidence, in other words, real, physical. Maybe
Messenger will make some unique observation
of a characteristic of Mercury that points an arrow
to a candidate Mercurian stone. Chancy.

Gladman also predicts Venusian meteorites, but
his simulations do not take into account the dense
Venusian atmosphere and its potential to suppress
ejecta. But a big impact blows out the atmospheric
column above it and lets ejecta escape. But the problem
of whether Venusian ejecta could escape the planet is
murky, at best.

If they did... The problem is that Veusian basalt is
probably indistinguishable from terrestrial basalt
unless you look real close and who would?

So you are certainly right -- the biggest best clue
would be fusion crust, the fresher the better.

Sterling K. Webb