[meteorite-list] Mercury Meteorites - the short list

From: cdtucson at cox.net <cdtucson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2011 12:28:37 -0400

Doug,
I would like to add Cat MT. to this short list of possible meteorites from Mercury.
Reason being that according to the latest report on Mercury. There was no mention of any Fe or FeO so , I assume neither one is very abundant. That said. any meteorite with metal is not a good candidate unless it is mixed with a known meteorite that does contain metal.
Cat Mountain is the perfect candidate. It is a mixture of Achondite ( mercury surface material) and an L5 with metal in that portion.
It only makes sense that anything powerful enough to knock material off of a planet is going to contain both planetary and inpactor material melted together.
For this reason I would say that an L5 meteorite hit Mercury and knocked a mixture of the two lithologies and some time later it made it's way to Tucson.
To add credence to this theory; Cat MT is part L5 and another meteorite was found within it's strewnfield which turned out to be an L5 (Snyder Hill). This too makes total sense. Naturally some of the material from the impact mixed together and some of the material did not mix but, they did travel together until their landing near Tucson in 1980-ish.
The only thing missing from this equation is a non mixed piece of mercury which may also have already been found but, not yet identified. Stay tuned!
So, I vote for Cat MT. as being from Mercury.

Carl
Meteoritemax.

--

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote".