[meteorite-list] Periodicity of Extinctions

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2011 19:24:45 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Sterling, Richard, all -

First off - Why should this be the "Great Dismal Swamp"? Why do some people have a hard time talking about cometary injection mechanisms?

Second - Why do the impact hazard charts NASA provides to the Congress show a 100 year random average occurrence, instead of the actual 26 million year periodicity? As far as smaller impacts go, why did NASA not fund the determination of cratering rates from the data for other bodies, data which NASA had for years?

Third - why the hell isn't NASA funding YD comet impact studies?

Now to the academic side of things. When I called this process "periodically chaotic" a few folks did not like it. I see you are stuck for words as well. Have you graphed out the residuals between periodic and actual time of occurrence?

This 26 million year periodicity should be showing up on other planets (see my comment on NASA's total lack of work on this above).

In particular, say, on the walls of Valles Marineris on Mars.

Since WISE has pretty much shown that Nemesis does not exist, isn't far past the time when the Nemesis Hypothesis should be rejected?
(And Morrison update his Sceptical Inquirer article?)

E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas

PS - Richard, I'd love to go on Coast to Coast AM and talk for a couple of hours about the Contempt of Congress shown by former NASA Administrator Griffin in his deliberate failure to comply with the George Brown Jr amendment. Please email George Noory and ask him to have me on.

The data is what it is.