[meteorite-list] New type of fake moldavite coming soon?

From: cdtucson at cox.net <cdtucson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 14:30:48 -0400

MikeG, list,
As a man who has earned much of his living in the art and collectible resale business.
This is actually much worse news than people may realize.
If these things are actually made of real glass then the testing of them for H2O will be difficult because all of the water was removed during the faking (melting) manufacturing process.
If these are indeed fake. This could mean the end of Moldavites as a collectible.
Once fakes get this good nobody wants them anymore.
This happened to "Roseville" pottery.
A Chinese firm purchased the actual vintage molds that were used to make "Roseville Pottery" and the Chinese figured out how to match the glaze colors. So, there went the "Roseville collecting industry. It became virtually impossible to tell the old from the new. The risk of buying a fake is too great.
Thermoluminesence can tell them apart but that it both destructive and costly.
This is very very sad news.
--

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote".