[meteorite-list] My first classification - NWA 6696 (LL3.6)

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 14:28:25 -0400

Hi Larry, Gary and List,

Here are some photos of NWA 6696 -

http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/jj24/Meteoritethrower/Meteorites/chondrules/

I have a few more on my HD somewhere, but there isn't much to see on
such a small stone. My only regret is that the stone is so small.
The matrix is wall-to-wall chondrules, many of which are surrounded by
a thin rim of metal. This stone just goes to show (as Larry said)
that visual pairings are misleading. I'd seen photos of CR stones
that looked exactly like my specimen. The main reason I submitted it
is because I was confident it was a CR. Then I was pleasantly
surprised by the LL3.6 classification, given the presence of
visually-abundant metal. A large stone like this would produce some
very attractive slices.

Of course, like many chondrule-rich OC's, the look is not improved by
polishing. The chondrules darken and become invisible when polished
(except for a few of the whitish colored ones). So I left one side of
my remaining slice unpolished.

By virtue of numbers, this LL3.6 is more scarce than a CR. There are
115 approved CR meteorites and only 16 LL3.6 stones. It's good to
know that my stone is in good company with Parnallee and is sitting in
a UCLA cabinet where it might contribute to science in some way. :)

Best regards,

MikeG

Galactic Stone & Ironworks - Meteorites & Amber

Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com