[meteorite-list] KT extinction impacts

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 19:06:49 -0500

Very Nice Calculator, Keith

And useful for a wide variety of cases. A sophisticated
model behind it. But... we know E. P. -- I suspect he's
interested in Big Thumpers, mostly. And the bigger
(and faster) the impactor, the more energy-dominated
the event becomes. And since the topic was the K-T
Visitor, I assumed we were talkin' Big... Not "the size
of Texas," as the memorable Billy Bob Thornton line
has it, but Big...

I noted that I stole this from the very best sources,
namely John S. Lewis' "Physics and Chemistry of
the Solar System, Second Edition" (pp.438-445).
And simplified it slightly.

And when I plug suitably big and fast impactors
into your model, I get results essentially similar
to the thumb rules, but that's because I'm choosing
events in size Large, X-Large, and 2X-Large...

No, it's the Devilishly Small impactors, where a
variety of factors matter greatly, that are a mess
to calculate. Now, I will go back to my favorite
Impact Calculator Game: finding the inputs that
will land a 100-ton HOBA without making a crater...
or a pit.

Sterling K. Webb