[meteorite-list] European Tektite Forum 2011 - Moldavite find rate

From: Aubrey Whymark <tinbider_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 22:18:26 +0100 (BST)

Hi

Re: Find rate of Moldavites

Well we were taken to the best spot! Milan has GPS coordinates of probably thousands of finds all plotted on Google Earth. An amazing database. Searching on the field I personally found 2 smallish specimens in maybe a couple of hours. Others found more. I guess maybe 30 mins per small Moldavite (1 hr for me). We went to another Moldavite location though and we all came up with nothing despite the gravels being evident in the soil and other collectors being around.

With regards the illegal mining operation the chap had been digging a few hours and I think he said he had found nothing. The previous day he had a matchbox full of say 10 smallish pieces. Then again a weeks work of another guy revealed a bag that maybe weighed a kilo I am guessing from another locality. It was very much luck of the draw - some days were bad, other days you would find a specimen worth hundreds or maybe, if very lucky, worth thousands of dollars.

The big difference between mining and picking from the field was that the unchipped large fragments are found by mining - chipped smaller pieces are found on the field.

One thing I can say - it takes a lot of effort to find even bad Moldavites and I will never again complain at paying a few hundred dollars for a Moldavite - it's cheap compared with the work put in!

Regards, Aubrey