[meteorite-list] Pluto May Have Comet-Like Tail

From: lebofsky at lpl.arizona.edu <lebofsky_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 19:56:34 -0700

Richard:

The atmosphere of Pluto has been known since 1985. The reclassification of
Pluto was in 2006 and was based solely on dynamical considerations (a
sphere but has not cleared its orbit, i.e., there are other large things
in similar orbits). Its physical properties were not taken into
consideration.

Oh, Pluto is about 50% rock and 50% ice by mass. So, since rock is denser
than ice, Pluto is more ice than rock by volume. There is still an
uncertainty because of the nature of Pluto's atmosphere. There may be a
haze layer which would mean when Pluto blocks out the light of a star (an
occultation), the measurement may be for the haze layer and not the true
surface. The most recent diameter is about 2320 km, but I do not know the
uncertainty in that measurement

Larry