[meteorite-list] Impactor detection budget

From: Richard Kowalski <damoclid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 22:51:48 -0700 (PDT)

Ed,

Most of what you asked was not discussed during the meeting as it had nothing to do with the topic of the meeting. I'm no expert in much of what you ask.

We've already covered the use of radar for NEO detection extensively on this list. "In space" means not on the earth's surface, so the lunar surface is included by default. Lidar has all of the same issues that radar has so is unusable for this purpose.

PS1 has been operating for some months now and regularly discovers NEOs. PS2, as far as I know is under construction adjacent to PS1 on Haleakala. PS4 is essentially, but not officially dead.

Sorry, but I have no interest in other programs funding and that certainly was not part of our meeting. Anything I have heard about other program's funding is, as far as I am concerned, hearsay, unless it is available as public record, in which case anyone should be able to find that online.

I can say Catalina is funded through the end of this year. This is the end of our normal 3 year funding cycle. We will be proposing to be extended another three years later this year.

Our continuation beyond this year will depends on what Congress decides to budget in the near future.

--
Richard Kowalski
Full Moon Photography