[meteorite-list] The age of Mifflin. ?470 million years? Really?

From: Jeff Grossman <jngrossman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 05:41:40 -0400

It's actually not as silly as everybody seems to think. There are a number
of "ages" that one can speak about for an L chondrite, all of which are
different and all of which are correct. These include a terrestrial age
(how long on Earth), a cosmic-ray exposure age (how long in a small body in
space), shock or metamorphic ages (how long since various heating events),
an accretion age (how long since chondrules, matrix, etc. came together in a
planetesimal), the age of the chondrules, the age of the CAIs, and probably
others. One can also refer to ages based on specific measured isotope
systems, such as an "argon age" (based on the decay of 40K to 40Ar), which
is what the 470 Ma age in this article is. The argon age of L chondrites
dates a major disruption event caused by an impact on the parent asteroid,
resulting in the resetting of the argon isotopic system.

As for the article, it isn't really wrong. If I were to quibble, I'd go the
opposite way. It says "the meteorite dates back about 470 million years."
In point of fact, the meteorite dates back only about 1 year, its
terrestrial age -- before that it was not a meteorite. The meteoroid it
came from probably dates back a few 10s of million years (or whatever the
CRE age might be). The asteroid the meteoroid came from might date back
about 470 Ma, or it might have just been shocked then, depending on the
circumstances. The original L chondrite parent body dates back over 4.5 Ga.

Bottom line: measured ages correspond to events (and sometimes it's not easy
to figure out what that event is, or whether the age has any meaning at
all!). If you just say "age" or "dates back" you are being ambiguous. Is
the age of Mifflin 470 Ma? Yes. And no.

Jeff