[meteorite-list] Space Radar?

From: Richard Kowalski <damoclid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 13:25:41 -0700 (PDT)

Let's see if this bounces...

Thanks Rob.

I had left out discussing the inverse square law on purpose, but you covered it well.

Eric,

As someone involved in the effort literally on a daily basis, I take this very seriously. It is not really hyperbole for me to say that my team and I are literally responsible for the safety of 7 billion people. Something that is in the back of my mind when I am at work.

As I mentioned, we have effectively retired the threat of civilization ending and more importantly, that of an extinction level event. Score: Mammals 1, Dinosaurs 0.

Sleep easy my friend, sleep easy. I certainly do.

I don't want to minimize the threat of these smaller objects, but I also don't want to over inflate it either. If you feel as strongly about the subject, or any subject, contact your government officials and let them know what your priorities are. If enough voices are raised in support for a particular project, the funding is more likely to appear.

As I mentioned in my first post, the United States is to my knowledge, the only country funding this effort but it should not be that way. In my humble and private opinion, other countries need to step up and take a little responsibility for this too.

Of course no one ever said that this has to be funded by governments. The private sector could fund this one their own. I'd have no problem making our telescopes look like NASCAR.

Cheers

--
Richard Kowalski
Full Moon Photography