[meteorite-list] Safety Message of the week

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 13:02:07 -0700 (PDT)

Yep, we ran into a diamondback last weekend. They are out in numbers this time
of year. We were hiking down two different trails when Zann radioed ahead that
there is an angry sounding rattler protecting the wash she was hiking down. I
laughed and asked what was the difference between a non-angry and angry sounding
rattler. I hiked back her way and say that her foot-tracks were spread further
apart in the sand with a magnetic cane laying near the rattlesnake where she
dropped it and ran. I went to recover the cane and heard rattling coming from
a bush on the bank of the wash. I have agree with her about it being angry, a
diamond back can rattle real load unlike the Mojave Greens which make a constant
whoosh sound. I could not see exactly where it was at first and it is very
unsettling knowing this thing can spring from the bushes at any time.

Do not were earphones when metal detecting or listening to music out here. We
always wear Kevlar snake boots. Sometimes, you get very little warning so be
careful and observant.

Best Regards,

Adam