[meteorite-list] Bonhams and provenance

From: Brian Cox <searchingforfun_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 09:24:23 -0500

Graham, Yinan, Shawn and list,

I enjoyed Graham's response the best.

"I can't say that mixing up all their pictures/samples really instills
me with confidence in a bill of sale from Bonhams!"

I'm with you Graham, and I hope they got the mix-up corrected before the
auctions begin or some lucky winning bidder may not be too happy down the
road.

I've been waiting for a response from a certain 'cough-cough' auction house
since December on an item I won for more information on provenance and have
given up calling the person in charge.

I agree with you Yinan and you are correct that it up to the seller of the
item if they want their name put down in any catalogue or online or given
out at all. It's a privacy issue and many are reluctant to allow that
information to be given out to the public, even to the buyer. Many people
get a thrill at seeing their name in print as being the person who owned the
item, but many do prefer to remain anonymous and for various reasons. Who
wants the world to know you had to sell the family jewels to pay the
mortgage, junior's college education and pay that new sports car off after
the divorce, let alone the alimony and child support payments.

Have a great day all, enjoy it, I am.

Brian