[meteorite-list] Space Radar? (Was: Cold Asteroids May Have A Soft Heart)

From: Walter Branch <waltbranch_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 07:34:41 -0400

Hello Eric,

>Will radar even work in space? If so, what's the range,
>and how would it work?

Radar does indeed work in space. The Gemini mission used radar to practice
spacecraft rendezvous in preparation for the Apollo lunar landings. As
well, with the actual landings, radar was used during the descent and ascent
phases. It was the ascent radar being accidentally switched on which caused
the infamous 1201 and 1202 alarms during the descent phase of Apollo 11.

As to the economy of using space-based radar to search for NEOs. As others
have pointed out, nahhh.

-Walter.