[meteorite-list] Cold Asteroids May Have A Soft Heart(AllendeMeteorite)

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 01:21:31 -0500

Hi,

Way too much stuff here to deal with all,
but I have a word about 2 Pallas as a
"Carbonaceous parent body."

Pallas has a silicate spectrum. A great many
bodies do. It shows signs of olive and pyroxene,
with low iron and water. If it resembles any
Carbonaceous chondrite, it's a CR with no
hydrated minerals or very little.

Pallas is very dark, with an albedo of 12%-14%,
almost as dark as our moon, whose albedo is
7% to 8%. Yes, when we look at the Moon
at night, it looks BRIGHT, but in reality, the
Moon is about the color and reflectivity of
a huge lump of black anthracite coal.

The fact that it doesn't look like a lump of coal
in pictures taken on the Moon or looked to the
astronauts as a very light grey demonstrates
the ability of the human mind to scale image
intensity to the Earth norm and to expose film
to achieve similar results.

Pallas is a little brighter than the Moon but
some darker than Mercury which is about 15%
to 16% albedo. Of course, if a human eye was ON
Mercury, the planet would appear to us as blazing
white under sunlight more than 2.5 times brighter
than here at Earth.

The density of Pallas is about 2.8. The similar
sized Vesta is 3.43, our Moon 3.35, Mercury . For
comparison, Earth's crustal rocks, mostly silicates,
have a mean density of about 3.0. It seems unlikely
that Pallas has an iron core. Like the Moon and
Mercury, it seems to be essentially waterless.

The spectral "classifications," both the Tholin and
the 2Mass, classify a great many asteroids as varieties
of "Carbonaceous," but we see far fewer Carbonaceous
meteorites than they see asteroids!

We spent many decades trying to analyze the surface
of the Moon spectroscopically, it being so conveniently
close and all, but none of it told us that much about
what we'd find when we got their. Similarly, spectral
studies of Mars from Earth are largely forgotten for
the same reason: they were wrong.

I expect Pallas to be excessively dry and waterless,
made of excessively dark rock, primitive in composition,
likely has little plagioclase on the surface, probably
isn't "differentiated" and lacks basalt melts. But hey!
I'm just guessing.

There is a chance that we may get a look at Pallas.
When the Dawn mission is mission is finished at Ceres,
if all systems are functioning and fuel supplies are
within parameters, it COULD be sent on a flyby of
Pallas. Dawn couldn't orbit it, but it could grab a lot
of lovely snapshots on that pass.

Of course, we'd have to get it funded by Congress...

Groan.

Sterling K. Webb