[meteorite-list] Space Radar? (Was: Cold Asteroids May Have A Soft Heart)

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 22:15:57 -0700

Richard, List,

Since smaller meteoroids and asteroids are nearly undetectable in space,
and we're currently searching optically with telescopes. Is it possible
to detect meteoroids/asteroids with space based radar?

Will radar even work in space? If so, what's the range, and how would it
work? Do we have something like this?

I know we have space based weather radar satellites, but what about
pointing them into empty space to search for asteroids?

Sorry if this is a dumb question... Just curious.

Regards,
Eric