[meteorite-list] Bonhams and provenance

From: valparint at aol.com <valparint_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 09:19:08 -0700

That is a heckuva good question, John.

I've contacted Bonhams about provenance on lots I've won and was told by the head guy that they do not release information about the consignor, but they would send an email on my behalf. So far, no consignor has responded.

Sometimes Bonhams will state the name of the collection from which an item came and I've tried direct contact based on that info, to no avail.

I am currently negotating the sale of a piece and the potential buyer is insistant on documentation, which I have been unable to get. Very frustrating, especially from an auction house. One would think they would live or die on provenance, especially for items that cost a bunch.

Paul Swartz