[meteorite-list] Hypothetical launch question

From: Michael Gilmer <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 09:41:58 -0400

Hi Stuart and Bill,

I tend to agree with Stuart on this one. Although, the damage done
would depend on several factors, including the angle and speed of the
descent. The type of roof would make a difference also. The roof of
an industrial or hardened structure might resist penetration, but I
think a typical residential or commercial roof would be penetrated to
great effect by an 8-pound meteorite.

However unlikely, it could have fallen from the wheel well of an
airplane. It could have also been thrown by a large wood chipper
operating a block away. Also, one cannot discount the power of
drunken hooligans who like to cause damage for no logical reason.
With meteorite hammer falls being so rare, there are a multitude of
possible explanations that are more likely, even though some scenarios
might seem far-fetched. Strange things happen.

If there were no reports of a bolide in the region, then the meteorite
theory becomes even more improbable.

Best regards,

MikeG

Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com