[meteorite-list] The Usselo Horizon, a Worldwide Charcoal-Rich Layer of Alleröd Age, Johán B. "Han" Kloosterman 1999 June, extensive references: Rich Murray 2011.04.09

From: Rich Murray <rmforall_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 21:31:15 -0700

Hi Mark,

I enjoyed reading your whole blog for the last 3 months, just now, as
well as your articles in The New Mexican and Skeptical Inquirer
[ http://www.csicop.org/si/show/when_scientists_actually_change_their_minds
], and all the associated comments.

I detest propaganda, manipulative advertising, PR spin, prejudice, and
dogma -- so I make an effort to always communicate clearly,
positively, and helpfully.

I agree totally with your portrayal of unfair, disfunctional, biased
communication by George Howard in his Cosmic Tusk blog, and have asked
other people on that blog's Comments to simply quit engaging in flame
wars this year. On the positive side, his blog presents full texts of
most of the important critical research papers -- which raise,
startling for me, a large number of evidence-based refutations of most
of the dozen or so claims raised two years ago.

This is a very unexpected outcome for my viewpoint as a technically
unqualified geology layman -- I recall the old story about a certain
businessperson, whose client expired during a routine transaction, who
afterwards confessed, "I thought he was coming, but he was going..."

As usual, both sides in every heated discussion are in danger of
getting lost in confusing polemics, instead of collaborating
respectfully with public evidence and reason in the best tradition of
scientific discourse.

I've been reading the major papers since Nov 2008, while driving in
all directions about 160 km from Santa Fe on one-day field
expeditions, while flying over many world regions with Google Earth
and Maps, and NASA Worldwind, accompanied by a new friend, Michael H.
Barron. I think I've confirmed the Dennis Cox paradigm, but have yet
to find experts to show sites to or to donate samples to.

Probably the easiest of the finds to disconfirm or confirm would be
many sites on the NE, E, and SE edges, and a few in the center, of the
Caja Del Rio Lava Field, for which one official source on the Net
(USGS?) gave two surface Argon dates of 30 +-8 Ka.

Horizontal and vertical lava rocks are cracked, tumbled, shattered,
and scattered, and, critically, often have a surface glaze that is
hard, shiny, smoother, darker, 1-20 or so mm thick. One nice location
is I-25 just N of the La Bahada escarpment, NW of the tall microwave
tower, on the 10 m slope that rises steeply W from the pavement.

Another is the enjoyable hike up the old Camino Real about 2 miles W
of I-25, which was the road to Santa Fe until about 1930.

And there's plenty just a mile W of Santa Fe Airport, just SE of an
operating red pumice mine.

Well, take a fresh look at the decorative 1-2 m brown rocks that are
so common in parking, lots, medians, and front yards -- just what are
the surface coatings that are variously shiny black, red-brown, and
white -- has anyone done a microanalysis of these coatings -- which
resemble the multilayer thinner coatings known as desert varnish.
Dennis Cox has commented on Cosmic Tusk that since last summer two
labs are studying similar samples of putative geoablation from small
mountains by his house in Fresno, CA.

I welcome critical expert detailed feedback!

In mutual service, Rich

http://puckerclust.wordpress.com/2011/04/03/gullible-denialism/

http://www.santafenewmexican.com/Opinion/Looking-in--Mark-Boslough-Climate-change-deniers-ignore-science

http://www.santafenewmexican.com/opinion/My-View-Hackers-confirm-contrived-climate-change-theory

"Before he retired in 1989, William E. Keller, Ph.D., spent more than
40 years in experimental physics research and administration at Los
Alamos National Laboratory. He lives in Santa Fe."