[meteorite-list] List of meteorites from Vesta?

From: Richard Kowalski <damoclid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 18:36:51 -0700 (PDT)

Hey Michael.

I'm sure Larry and other more learned people will respond, but until then, if you have it, take a look at _Meteorites and their Parent Planets_ (partly available online as a Google Book) I'm away from my bookshelf at the moment so can't cite pages unfortunately.

To give you a short answer, we know the origin of only Lunars, Martians and Almahata Sitta. Other than that, the best we can do is compare reflectance spectra of asteroid at the telescope and meteorites in the lab, finding the best matches between the two.

DAWN will be able to analyze the mineral make up of Vesta and determine if indeed HEDs come from there. I believe that we'll not only prove this connection, but in some cases it should be possible that we'll even be able to pinpoint specific locations on the surface as the origin of the meteorites in our labs and collections.

Cheers

--
Richard Kowalski
Full Moon Photography