[meteorite-list] NYT story

From: Michael Gilmer <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 20:34:56 -0400

Hi Bob and List,

It's not a blogger or blog, as the article said. It's a message
board. The person who uttered the quote is a real person. I've been
a member of that astronomy message board for years before I discovered
meteorites (via Bob!). As I stated in the original message board
thread, the person had no reason to feel the way he does about Gebel
Kamil. The person was a relative newcomer at the time, and like many
newcomers, will often read something and take it as fact. This was
when Gebel Kamil was still new and the situation was developing.

The NYT writer can't even tell a message board post from a blog. We
can't expect that same writer to know a crater from a pothole or a
meteorite from a potato.

The NYT has a history of not vetting it's articles, sources, or
writers. It is tripe "journalism".

Best regards,

MikeG

Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com