[meteorite-list] NYT story

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 09:27:23 -0700 (PDT)

If it were me, I would not give the New York Times the time of day if asked to
do an interview. They have already proven themselves unworthy of accurately
reporting on meteorites. We do not need their input on NWA meteorites or any
others as they appear already biased by a member of the Antarctic program who
seems threatened by all other non-Antarctic material if the article quoted him
properly. What was told to the press was uncalled for and very damaging. It
appears to me, this scientist is for some reason feels threatened by
non-Antarctic material when he should be embracing it. What would make a
scientist feel compelled to label all other meteorites "Black Market" unless he
was trying to protect the program he is involved with or was misquoted by the
press? Perhaps, in the spirit of cooperation, he could clarify this for all of
us. Perhaps budget cuts are on the horizon? In any case, this doesn't
demonstrate collaboration that most of us seek. I think an apology is in
order. A lot of good people were unfairly labeled in this biased piece.

Best Regards,

Adam