[meteorite-list] Twice Blessed Yankee Lobsterman

From: MEM <mstreman53_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 22:36:37 -0700 (PDT)

Statistically improbable, agreed.

I'll toss in some more believable Maine meteorite trivia I believe I read in The
Works of Nininger and have to rely on memory as my copy is in storage. There
was a report of an impact in remote Maine which reached Harvey so he promptly
went to investigate. He found a substantial (30ft diameter?) crater-like
feature in a peat bog where debris had been flung onto the faces of trees facing
the watery pit. Beneath the water, the bottom of the pit was of course peat
with the consistency of butter. This was one of those "quaking earth" type bogs
where the ground was springy and spongy where one walked upon it. After lengthy
but difficult haphazard probing, nothing was located. There was some discussion
that there might be something offset from the pit and under the rim and that is
where the story/memory goes silent other that nothing meteoritical was found.

 That is the story and I am sticking to it. Anyone have the specifics?

Elton