[meteorite-list] pairing and collecting

From: Shawn Alan <photophlow_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 21:13:20 -0700 (PDT)

Richard and Lister,
?
I think you?and the rest of us on here feel the same way about meteorite collecting, but at the end of the day, some Listers can spend $1000's if not more and?for those?reasons money is an issue. To fork over a few $1000 for an NWA 5400?that has been speculated to be from Earth, which no proven evidence has been put forth can be hardening and to make matters more interesting, there are meteorites coming out of the wood workings of the meteorite world that are being?paired with NWA 5400. All of these factors can affect the value of the meteorite and how much is spent on acquiring it.
?
I see this has?happenen nefore?with meteorites and chatted with some?people that told me they spent some coins and to find out later?that the research didn't become of?anything or that exclusive meteorite, has pairings. Now to?me I?would rethink before I would?buy a meteorite and be certain that the research is done and proven and not just speculated.
?
I find it difficult sometimes that some of the processes used to market meteorites can be over indulged in some ways and the research hasn't been proven yet. So that's way at the end of the day I go withthe ?historic meteorites, they have proven time and time to have?a rich history and legacy, which?I am fond of and enjoy tracing back?the footsteps that theses?meteorites had on the science community.
?
Shawn Alan
IMCA 1633
eBaystore
http://shop.ebay.com/photophlow/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340

[meteorite-list] pairing and collectingRichard Montgomery rickmont at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 28 22:48:57 EDT 2010

David and List...in concert with the current discussion on NWA 5400 and
6292: I want to share with everyone why I even started this passion,
because it goes directly to David's point. It also points to a reminder of
why we do this crazy passion. Essentially, it is knowledge that drives most
of us, at the very least the quest for knowledge....

When the political winds started blowing along about global climate trends,
I decided to investigate for myself. I know/knew that more powerful sources
were impacting our planet, more than aerosol cans.

I wound finding Rocks-From-Space. Eyes open. (My original copy is so
dog-eared and re-re-re-read that I eventually bought a hard-cover with
Richard Norton's blessing and signature....I keep it next to the other
awesome texts of our time!) And, the rest became history, literally.

None in my circle of debating friends had any clue about meteoritic impact
events, let alone "instant impact" events that have changed the static model
of specie emergence and decline....actually off the page and not even known.
The status quo static model for evolving species being the prevailing trend,
I was a lone wolf even bringing this up.

So, I decided to become best-friends with meteorites and all things
meteoritic that I could find. Power is found in things true, every time
it's used. Knowledge drives my passion, not $$ (although, since I have a
pitiful limited supply of it, it does limit my ability to look and see)....

Just a thought for relativity. -Richard Montgomery

This passion we all have in meteorites