[meteorite-list] Planetary Pairings...Whoops

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 01:07:18 +0200

Though I wrote it privately... ;-)

But especially the lunars and Martians, which are always checked, if they
are paired,
there one can see well, that there is no rule, that no stone comes alone
from NWA.

Some have immediate pairings, from some every few years another sample
surfaces,
others there suddenly after a long break of many years more comes to light.

So far unpaired NWA-Martians are:

NWA 817
NWA 856
NWA 998
NWA 1195
NWA 1669
NWA 1950
NWA 2046
NWA 2626
NWA 2646
NWA 2737
NWA 2800
NWA 3137
NWA 4222
NWA 4468
NWA 4480
NWA 4797
NWA 5029
NWA 5289
NWA 5718
NWA 5789
NWA 5990
NWA 6162

So from the 28 different NWA-Martian, there are only 6 which build up a
pairing group.
22 are unpaired.

Moon:

Unpaired:

NWA 482
NWA 2200
NWA 2998
NWA 3163
NWA 4734
NWA 4819
NWA 4884
NWA 4898
NWA 4932
NWA 5000
NWA 5153
NWA 5207
NWA 5744

(The NWA 773 - Anoual I lumped together)

So there 13 out of 19 unpaired.

Well, and as far as the general rareness of NWAs compared to historical
finds/falls is concerned.
To me it seems, that the NWAs in general - also if you take paired numbers
together - have on average a much smaller tkw than non-desert-finds. Well
one would need some ling winter-evenings to verify that.

Though sometimes - tiny fragments, without any crust, non-magnetic
achrondites - e.g. some of the Martians from the NWA 2975 - or if you
remember the tiny peas of the NWA 1068 group, looking like sandstone.
For me it's a sheer riddle, how you can find such pieces at all!
Crawling on my knees through the field, I wouldn't find them.

Or cause we just had it NWA 4485, NWA 4472 - all around a fat weathering
crust, white like chalk.
Who the heck would ever pick up such a stone from the field and suspect it
to be a meteorite?

It is truly amazing, what the hunters do down there.

Best!
Martin

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----