[meteorite-list] NWA 6292 (BRA) IS paired to NWA 5400 !

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 18:20:33 -0400

Hi Greg and List,

Thanks for the schooling on non-paired NWA finds. Yes, there are some
outstanding specimens like NWA 482 that sit atop a lonely perch with
no pairings. We are now approaching 7000 NWA meteorites, and it's
going to be a long time before all of the data is compared. As Martin
and others said, we see many more pairings with planetaries because
those are the most studied. No lab is investing time and money to
comb the NWA catalogue looking for pairings, especially amongst
ordinary chondrites. It would be interesting to see how many of the
almost 7000 NWA meteorites are actually paired and perhaps someday
that information will become available - it would make a nice project
for a team of bored scientists and grad students.

I think as time goes on, we will see more redundant NWA numbers. The
number of unpaired finds will probably remain steady, but the
proliferation of the internet and the market into other parts of the
world has greatly changed the supply part of the equation. I'm not
trying to speak for anyone here, and if I am off-base, somebody
correct me, but if I am sitting in Morocco and I have a sack full of
meteorites that I suspect are a scarce type with a good monetary
value, then I am not going to offer them all to one buyer at one
price. I am going to shop them around and try to get the most profit
I can for those specimens. Now, I can sit in an internet cafe or
borrow my uncle's laptop, and offer those specimens to anyone in the
US, Europe or the world, at any price I decide to charge. In fact, I
can give different prices to different buyers based on the situation.
I am no longer limited to offering my specimens to tourists, dealers
who visit Morocco, and a small group of buyers that I have dealt with
previously. I can sell to complete and total strangers for top
dollar. It is an interesting dynamic to watch play out as the
internet, social networking, and meteorites come together. It has
good effects and bad effects on the market, depending on where the
fickle winds are blowing for that day. In general, I guess it means
the price is going up. If the NWA situation had peaked before the
creation of the internet, the market would not have been as
dramatically effected, methinks.

Best regards and happy huntings,

MikeG

Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com