[meteorite-list] NWA 6292 (BRA) IS paired to NWA 5400 !

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 17:20:58 -0400

Hi Greg and List,

I wasn't trying to take a shot at anyone. But the marketplace has
changed, even in the brief 3 years I have been active on it. There
was a time, not long ago, that the number of stateside dealers who
bought directly from the Moroccan sources could be counted on two
hands - not counting buying from a wholesaler at a show like Tucson.
10 years ago, how many people were wiring money to the Moroccans for
Fed-Ex packages full of meteorites that were destined for resale? I
would wager that it was not very many compared to now. On Facebook
alone, there are no less than 2 dozen overseas and Moroccan dealers
who are selling directly to the end collector. These sellers know
they can get more money for their stones by selling to a newbie dealer
or end collector, than selling to a veteran dealer. I wasn't taking a
shot at NWA 5400 or the Hupes. I think that nowadays, any meteorite
that is offered to one dealer, is going to be offered to several
dealers and collectors - to maximize profit. Our overseas friends are
eager students of capitalism and they are simply applying the same
lessons they have learned after years of watching their stones get
sold for pennies on the dollar and then flipped onto the market of end
collectors for a profit. This is happening more and more now.
Speaking from personal experience, I have now processed (sliced and
polished) a new NWA meteorite from 2 independent Moroccan sources.
Guess what? It's the same meteorite and there is a 3rd dealer
offering this same material. All 3 meteorites are exactly the same
and have 3 different NWA numbers. Of course, I am making a casual
pairing based on handling the material and I cannot say for certain
they are exactly the same without microprobe and/or O-isotope. But
from talking to these dealers, each one had no idea that other dealers
were being offered the same material. Each one thought they were
getting an exclusive deal.

If I am an overseas source, I know I will get more money per gram for
my stones if I sell them to a collector on Facebook versus selling
them to a seasoned dealer like Adam or Greg. Now that this fact is
well known, the genie is out of the bottle. Exclusivity for NWA finds
is dead.

Best regards,

MikeG

Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com