[meteorite-list] Who owns the meteorite?

From: Steve Dunklee <steve.dunklee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 11:05:02 -0700 (PDT)

Ownership of meteorites is pretty clear in United States law. The owner of a meteorite is the land owner. If one falls on my land it is mine. If one falls on your land it is yours. If one falls on federal land it belongs to the Smithsonian. So if one lands in a school yard it must belong to the school. Other countrys may have different law. Cheers Steve Dunklee