[meteorite-list] "Oregon meteorite generating interest" -The Columbian

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 13:28:18 -0400

Hi Thomas and List,

I think this might be one of those cases where the finder's story may
determine what the final outcome of the ownership question is. If he
claims that it was passed down through his family for a long time
before newer laws went into effect, it will be grand-fathered in. If
he says it was found recently or that he acquired it recently, then
the state may have a claim on ownership. It could become a case of
he-said, the state-said. This is commonly seen with ivory, fossils,
certain mineral specimens, etc. A good analogy would be Canyon
Diablo. Any new Diablo removed from the crater area cannot be owned
by private individuals except in very limited and controlled
circumstances. But, proving that any specific offering was removed
recently, or in the distant past, is often hard to do. Unless the
state can prove otherwise, the finder or current owner has the
advantage in determining which way the case for ownership goes.

Best regards,

MikeG

--
Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com