[meteorite-list] Stranded on a Large Island - With a DryLakeBed on It

From: Mark Grossman <markig_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 20:35:37 -0400

Hi Count,

I think von Schreiber's Appendix to Chaldni's 1819 book Uber-Feur-Meteore is
usually considered the first published "catalogue of meteorites", at least
in the literature.

A. Greshake attributes Chladni's book to being the first based on Hoppe's
1970 work. See The history of meteoritics, published by The Geological
Society, 2006, p. 140.

However, an associate of mine brought to my attention the existence of
another catalogue, and it appears to me that this one is the earliest, at
least to my knowledge. More to come on this.

Mark

Mark Grossman
Briarcliff Manor, NY