[meteorite-list] OT: Listening To Fermi

From: Richard Kowalski <damoclid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 22:08:01 -0700 (PDT)

No problem Phil.

Note I did not say there is life because I believe there is.
My belief stems from the knowledge that the elements of life exist in abundance throughout the universe and an understanding that life burst onto the scene on earth as soon as it was possible. It seems that the physical processes required to form life is a natural consequence of our universe.

Do I know life exists in the Universe? Of course it does, right here on Earth. Does it exist elsewhere? I don't know, but on the basis of our current knowledge is appears that it is highly likely that it must. My belief is based on this likelyhood, not on my desire. I too await proof.

As for canceling SETI, it's privately funded. Who cares how other people spend their money? I said that my opinion is that I think there are better ways to search for life on distant planets than SETI, but I'd never say that just because an experiment that could prove the existence of that life is unlikely to succeed, that is a reason that the experiment should never be tried at all, or continued for a reasonable amount of time. Even if it never does turn up a signal, that does not eliminate the possibility of intelligent life elsewhere. It just means we need to try a different experiment to try to find it.

This thread is very off topic, so I'll stop here.

Cheers

--
Richard Kowalski
Full Moon Photography