[meteorite-list] Supernova Shrapnel (weird NWA 2086 inclusion)

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 11:10:39 -0400

Hi Greg and List,

This is somewhat off-subject, but semi-related as well.

If the list will recall, I recently posted about an NWA 2086 stone
that I cut open, and it revealed a strange inclusion that is very
atypical of NWA 2086. Some list members had initial doubts about
whether the specimen was indeed 2086. Well, I have interesting news
about this stone.

I sent off a slice to a friend who is a qualified scientist at a major
university. I won't mention his name because I don't want him to get
inundated with submissions. Upon examining the stone in hand, he
agreed that the strange "inclusion within an inclusion" did not appear
to be weathering or terrestrialization. He hazarded a guess that the
inclusion might be some form of "star dust" or foreign meteoritic
material that accreted into the matrix during formation. Initially,
he was going to make a couple of thin-sections from the material and
make a visual analysis. But now he is very intrigued and is going to
put the specimen through the microprobe to get an elemental
composition. So, this is one of the mysteries that is going to be
solved soon, and I will share the answer with the list when the
results come in.

I'd like to thank Blaine Reed and Gary Fujihara for providing this
anomalous sample of NWA 2086 and my unnamed friend for kindly donating
his expertise and microprobe time in solving this meteoritic mystery.

And just for record, yes, this specimen is indeed NWA 2086. It's just
a very anomalous example of this meteorite.

And it's another example of something recently discussed on this list
- collectors and dealers, please do NOT alter your specimens with
foreign substances during processing. You never know when science may
come knocking on your door and want a pristine specimen.

Best regards,

MikeG

Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com