[meteorite-list] Rust Question about my stone meteorite. BKF is the best :)

From: Shawn Alan <photophlow_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 23:42:52 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Eric and Listers

I did notice a slight smell from the BKF when I was baking the stone so I took it out of the oven and did another wash and did a longer alcohol bath and put it back in the over for 2 hours and now there is no smell. As for staining and residue I see non. However, I did weigh the meteorite and before I did this process it weighed 3.48g and now it weighs 3.43g. So if you have a small fragment this process could make your 1g rare meteorite a 1 gram lesser meteorite and take it out of the 1 gram and over bracket. But for what I did, the results are fantastic and losing 50mg of the meteorite was worth it, and I think the 50mg was the rust, so it was a win win situation.

Shawn Alan
IMCA 1633
eBaystore
http://shop.ebay.com/photophlow/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340

[meteorite-list] Rust Question about my stone meteorite. BKF is the best :)
Meteorites USA eric at meteoritesusa.com
Mon Sep 13 02:23:21 EDT 2010