[meteorite-list] A meteor shower burst.

From: Marco Langbroek <marco.langbroek_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 10:33:21 +0200

>> I was quite amazed, as it seemed for an instant that a great meteor
>> storm was brewing. The initial flash that caused me to look up and the three
>> after spanning maybe 4 seconds and to see 4 meteors...
>>
>> I stayed out for another half hour hoping... But nothing more...<<
>
> I think the meteor timing of what you saw were nothing more than a
> coincidence. Sometimes this happens.
> GeoZay

Steve, George:

This kind of thing can happen, I think, on rare occasions when a fragile
meteoroid fragments just before it plunges into the atmosphere (or rather: at
very high altitude in the atmosphere) and becomes a luminous meteor.

Back on 14 October 1993 I witnessed something very similar: 3 separate meteors,
with clearly different directions but all intersecting back to the same radiant
in Pegasus, that appeared within 1-2 seconds of each other. Not a single one
from that radiant before or after that.

- Marco

-----
Dr Marco (asteroid 183294) Langbroek