[meteorite-list] Meteor Crater Shape and Entry Angle

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 11:44:17 -0600

Not at all logically. Meteor Crater was round after the impact. Its current
shape is produced by the non-isotropic nature of the local geology. In
essence, it has eroded into its current shape. This process is well
understood. There is no evidence at all that the impactor arrived at a
shallow enough angle to actually produce an oval crater.

With our current crater analysis skills, I'd say any suggestion of a
specific impact angle or direction is scarcely better than a pure guess. And
even the reports estimating mass and velocity I view with a high degree of
skepticism.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory