[meteorite-list] Mooresfort Meteorite

From: Mark Grossman <markig_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 20:42:07 -0400

If anyone has received this already, my apologies. I am having trouble
sending as well as receiving messages.

With the reports of a possible fall of a meteorite in Co. Tipperary,
Ireland, it's interesting to note that the Mooresfort meteorite fell in Co.
Tipperary in August 1810, slightly over 200 years ago.

A paper of mine involving the history of the Mooresfort meteorite and how it
led to one of the greatest battles in the history of chemistry - the battle
over who developed the atomic theory - John Dalton or William Higgins - is
scheduled for publication in Notes & Records of the Royal Society in
December 2010.

You can view the abstract of the article, which is entitled "William Higgins
at the Dublin Society, 1810-1820: the loss of a professorship and a claim to
the atomic theory" at the FirstCite section of the journal:

 http://rsnr.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/firstcite

The article is listed in the middle of the page under the date July 28.
Just click on the abstract link.

Notes & Records of the Royal Society should be available at most college and
museum libraries. The article will be freely available at the Notes &
Records website one year after publication.

It's a very interesting story about the Mooresfort meteorite which I think
many of the list subscribers might enjoy.

Mark Grossman

Author of "Smithson Tennant: meteorites and the final trip to France", Notes
& Records of the Royal Society 2007 61, 265-283.
http://rsnr.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/61/3.toc

Mark Grossman
28 Cypress Lane
Briarcliff Manor, NY 10510