[meteorite-list] Witnessed fall lunars?still no clear answere

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 08:34:42 -0700 (PDT)

I think most of it comes from lack of recognition. Lunar meteorites do not seem
to lose as much of their mass when entering the atmosphere so probably do not
produce huge bolides. Chondrites, on the other hand generally burn up 90% or
more, if they survive at all.

For some reason, Martian meteorites tend to be larger in size so probably put
out more light. For the most part, they have very black glossy crusts (Eucrite
like) which makes them very easy to recognize.

The Moroccans have proved that once a searcher has been taught what to look for,
success is soon to follow if a reasonable effort is put forth. If I read
Randy's site correctly, no lunar meteorites were found in Northwest Africa last
year and the peak was around 4 or 5 years ago. Each and every lunar meteorite
found in the hot deserts was a tough pull but it can be done.

Now that we have gained all of this knowledge from the NWA gold rush which is
now over, it is time to work the next plateau which most believe is the Mojave.

Happy Hunting,

Adam