[meteorite-list] Witnessed fall lunars?

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2010 17:26:18 -0500

On Tue, 07 Sep 2010 16:06:15 -0500, you wrote:

>Another issue (probably more important) is that lunar escape velocity
>is only 2.4 km/s and very little material ejected from the Moon is
>going much faster than that. This velocity compares with 20-40 km/s
>for asteroidal meteorites. Is a rock entering the atmosphere at 2.4
>km/s going to noticeably incandesce? I don't know.

The minimum velocity of a meteor entering the Earth's atmosphere is Earth's
escape velocity of 11.2 km/s. The escape velocity of the parent body is
irrelevant.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=minimum+speed+meteor&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=CvX3Z76yGTOLhPIOIyAStwKCTBQAAAKoEBU_QhF8-&pbx=1&fp=983d1b7d11262f2f